Singapore’s favourite Aussie hangout Boomarang Bistro & Bar has been awarded the LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver award, being the first F&B outlet having done so in Asia.
Established by the United States Green Building Council and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI), LEED is the United States’ program for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Boomarang Bistro & Bar achieved LEED certification for energy use, lighting, water and material use as well as incorporating a variety of other sustainable strategies. By using less energy and water, LEED certified buildings save money for families, businesses and taxpayers; reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and contribute to a healthier environment for residents, workers and the larger community.
Please click here for the press release
LEED certification of Boomarang Bistro & Bar was based on a number of green design and construction features that positively impact the project itself and the broader community.
The features of Boomarang Bistro &Bar that led to the LEED® Silver Award include:
- All waste cooking oil is donated to Alpha Biofuels to convert into diesel, helping reduce carbon emissions by 500kg per year
- Having convenient public transportation
- Implementation of water saving measures to reduce water use by 50%
- Conducted proper testing and commissioning after occupancy to verify building performance according to the design
- Installation of energy efficient lighting which reduced energy use by 35%
- Individual lighting and thermal comfort controls to meet individual area requirements
- Storage and waste collection areas to separate waste into five types (paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and metal) for recycling
- During construction stage, 80% of construction waste was recycled
- 56% of the wood product used in the restaurant is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood
Indoor Environmental Quality:
- Unique design provides sufficient fresh air to the dining area
- Smoking inside and in the area immediately surrounding the restaurant is prohibited
- High quality air filters (MERV rating 8 ) are used for air conditioning system to supply high air quality
- Before opening, an „air flush‟was conducted to clean out all of the dust accumulated in the air conditioning system during construction stage
- All sealants, adhesives, paints, coatings and carpet syst.ems are low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) materials
- Unique design maximises daylight in the restaurant to replace artificial lighting